Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Back to Eliot...

Of course we are back to Eliot, we are always with Eliot. Including the recitation tonight, which I am very excited for! Actually, I am surprised that so few people are participating. But...I was reading Eliot and using the excuse that I HAD to memorize my short 7 lines so that I didn't have to do my french homework! It has worked out well...

I was reading Eliot the other morning before class and found so many more passages that interest me even more as I read them over and over. I don't remember which notes were from the first or second or third time I read, so I apologize if I am repeating a few things from a previous blog!

In the Burnt Norton, Eliot asks us if one should follow the echoes? And in response I asked myself...how would one choose? While it would be interesting to follow the echoes down that road of curiosity would we be conforming to what we think we should be doing or what everyone else would do? If we didn't follow the echoes are we creating our very own unique path?

I pause now because I am all of a sudden at a stop after that thought. Where do I go from here? I honestly have no idea...everyday my book has a new mark on the page...I noticed just now, the binding is slowly coming apart from the book. I am tempted to go home and scan in the pages that have the most notes on them because I really don't think I have the ability (at least at the moment- and every moment is death). The soul. another subject eliot touches on. What is the purification of the soul? Is it darkness and deprivation that serves as the purifier? Must there be light and association before purification is able to be done? I am thinking the light and experience lead to times of darkness and deprivation. It reminds me of the popular saying "You never know what you've got until it's gone". Is this the purification of the soul, coming to that realization?

I am going to pause on this blog to see where i should jump to next and perhaps scan in some pages just for kicks. It would be fun to have others see my notes and let them make their assumptions from that.

No comments:

Post a Comment